Dr. Henderson
Dr. Henderson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Veterinarian, Adjunct Professor

dogs paws are red and sore in between toes and top of paw.

dogs paws are red and sore in between toes and top of paw. they are also tender to the touch doesnt want you to touch them. what could be the problem
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Henderson replied 4 years ago.
Hi There
Thanks for your question.
Your dog could have interdigital dermatitis.
This is a condition caused by either bacteria, fungus, or allergy that makes the paws itchy and red and sometimes sore.
For now, if your dog is itching at them, place an Elizabethan Collar around your dogs head (you can buy these at PETCO) to prevent your dog from itching at his feet. And, you can buy some cortisone spray at Petco to to help with the itching and redness.

If the paws are worsening, you will need to take him into see your vet to have skin scrapings done to make sure there are no mites, and impression smears to check for bacterial infections to determine if your dog needs antibiotics.

Dr. H
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
let me give you a little more information on the dog. got him from a guy who doesnt need to have dogs very bad facilities. here is the story he sold this dog to a guy who obviously doent need dogs either. when guy didnt pay for the dog he went back to get him. during that time we were getting a ton of rain during the first part of the year. the dog was chained out and he said he was standing in about 3 inches of mud with no dry areas anywhere. i saw the dog after he brought him back and his feet were really red and in bad shape. but now it isnt as red i have the dog now and he is in clean conditions on concrete. but upon further inspection his paws arent as red as i thought. but he will hold a foot p when standing like it is hurting. and it isnt always the same foot. sometimes he will stand and it looks like he has his foot bent way back like he doesnt want to stand up on his toes. i cleaned him up real good today and his feet doesnt really look that bad but his toenails dont look right. kind of hard to describe looks like they are dead or something or maybe another way to describe it is a fungus like some people get. guy said he talked to vet and he told him sounded like dog had an infection and it would take about 4 to 6 months of antibotics to cure it. plan on taking him to a vet in the next day or so unless this sounds like something you are familiar with and can prescribe something for me. and i will just pay you. thanks
Hello
There are several possibilities with red paws
1) Allergies
2) Fungal or bacterial
3) Mites

Based on your description, I would recommend that you take your dog to your vet to have them run some tests, such as impression smears and skin scrapings, and discss whether different meications need to be used, such as either a different antibiotic, antifungal or Ivermectin depending upon what is found with the final tests that need to be performed.
Dr. Henderson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Veterinarian, Adjunct Professor