Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

All of a sudden my dog can barely walk. He was fine last night,

All of a sudden my dog can barely walk. He was fine last night, but this morning he has a hard time walking.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Hi there. Can you tell me more? How old is your dog? What breed? Is he having trouble in his rea legs or all legs? Is it lameness or an inability to get up?

thanks!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Olli is a 6 year old greater swiss mountain dog. He is having problems with his back legs. As if he can't put pressure on them. At one point, he was lifting one leg off the ground while he was standing and then switch after a few minutes. I gave him an aspirin 45 min. ago and he did seem a little better, but he still doesn't seem to want to walk. He just stands. Last night he and my other 2 dogs got into a package of pepto bismol tablets. But he ate without a problem and went to the bathroom, no problem.

Thanks for the info! Olli is a little older and, with such a large breed dog, they often will have arthritis in their rear legs. This would be the first place to start. have your vet radiograph his rear legs. It is also further confirms this diagnosis by his response to the aspirin. The other thing that will cause this is a disc issue in Olie's back. This is also fairly common in a larger dog. He may have arthritis in one of his vertebrae or an unstable disc. These should all be evaluated so that the appropriate treatment can be initiated.

Does that help?

Dr. Loretta
Click REPLY if you need more info. Click ACCEPT if I have answered your question. Thanks you so much for allowing me to help! Remember, this cannot replace an exam by your veterinarian. Feedback and Bonuses are encouraged.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would this come on so suddenly - when he hasn't ever had a problem like this before? What is the treatment for an unstable disc?

Yes, any of these can come on suddenly by Ollie moving the wrong way or straining something, just as with humans that twit the wrong way and strain their backs. An unstable disc is treated with strong antiinflammatory agents such as cortisone short term. This usually stops the process but you have to be aware that this disc is unstable and it could happen again.

Find out first what has caused this and then you will know more.

Good Luck!!

Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.