FamilyPetDoctor, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery, including emergency medicine

My dog is vomiting clear mucus since last night, I dont know

My dog is vomiting clear mucus since last night, I don't know what to do...there is nothing in the vomit, it's just clear and mucusy. His nose is cold too.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  FamilyPetDoctor replied 7 years ago.

Has he been coughing at all?

Any diarrhea?

IS he eating still?

How old and what breed of dog is he?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi is a miniature Schnauzer and he will be 2 next week and I think he had diarrhea outside b/c when he came in he had excrement on the back of his tail (but I'm not positive, no accidents but vomiting in the house), he ate last night and I have not fed him today b/c he started vomiting last night. No coughing. I gave him four french fries this afternoon, he did not vomit after eating them. He keeps going off in isolated places.

I'm worried that he may have pancreatitis; which can be very serious.

Here's how I work up a case of vomiting;

Vomiting can be caused by a number of things....... the two main categories are what we call

1. metabolic reasons; for example, kidney disease, pancreatitis, liver disease, etc.
2. gastrointestinal reasons; for example an obstruction of the bowel, irritation of the stomach lining, infection in the gut, etc.

If the problem isn't apparent after my physical exam, the first thing that I recommend is a fecal test to look for infectious diseases like the parasite Giardia which can cause vomiting. I especially recommend this right away if there is diarrhea too.

I usually recommend doing some blood work to look for the metabolic things that can cause vomiting. If your pet is acting sick and vomiting, it is more likely a metabolic reason. ( but not always)

If the blood work is unremarkable, then we talk about doing either X rays if I am suspicious of an obstruction, or an ultrasound if I'm worried about an inflammatory condition or a tumor.

With all this information, we can make a good assessment of the severity of the condition and make a plan for treatment.

It's also possible that it is just an upset stomach or gastritis. That might improve with 24 hours of no food plus Pepcid AC 10 mg twice a day. Then only a bland diet for a few days....   But if this is pancreatitis or an obstruction in the gut, then you will need veterinary assistance.

I have to recommend a veterinary exam of the vomiting continues into tomorrow. I hope that this helps you make a decision.

If I can help you further, let me know!

Dr. C