CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my dog is dry heaving, and throwing up a little bit. last night

Customer Question

my dog is trying to throw up, but mostly dry heaving, and throwing up a little bit. last night she had slight muscle spasms throughout her body ( the same way she did once before when she accidently got a hold of one M+M). It seems fairly clear she is having an allergic reaction to something, but i don't think she ate anything other than her dog food and some treats yesterday. is there something i can give to her to nuetralize her stomach, or help her to throw up what is bothering her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

How old is your dog?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
5 years old. pitbull

How often are you seeing the dry heaving / vomiting?

Is your dog trying to eat?

Distended belly?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, she doesn't want to eat., she just drank some water. she is tentaive, ( tail between her back legs), laying down in quiet spots, but not lethargic, and NO distended belly.

How much does your dog weigh?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
about 55 lbs.
Hi there,

From your history - it certainly sounds like there may be a gastroenteritis or colitis. This can be from many different causes including eating something abnormal and even certain types of infections including intestinal parasites, giardia, and coccidia.

The best way to tell what is the cause would be to have your veterinarian do an examination and perform some tests including evaluation fo the feces for parasites and protozoa.

Here is a great link that talks about colitis.

If you would like to try conservative management at home, you can try to offer a bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled chicken and rice (2/3 rice and 1/3 chicken). I would try this for about 1 week, hoping that she improves over this time.

You can also consider giving 10mg of Pepcid A/C (famotidine) by mouth every 12 hours for 5 days for stomach upset. You can purchase this over the counter.

Hopefully with a little food change / bland diet, everything will be better in a few days, but it may be a good idea for veterinary evaluation.

Certainly if she becomes lethargic, continues to vomit, or continues to be anorexic, I would recommend a veterinary visit sooner!

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
after a vet visit, my vet diagnosed emily with pancreatitis, he suspects her immune system was compromised by steroid medicine taken for her allergies.
I am glad to hear a diagnosis was made and we are on the right track!!

Please let me know if I can help in any other way!!!