Dr. E.T.
Dr. E.T., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  5 years as a general practitioner including experience in emergency medicine

dog is walking crooked in rear sometimes more frequent now

dog is walking crooked in rear sometimes more frequent now with her tail going crooked getting up walkm in circles then lay down then sometimes fine also scratches ass on floor but seeee no worms
Thank you for your question.

Can you answer a few questions for me?

1)How old is your dog and is it neutered or spayed?
2)How long has this problem been going on? Days? Weeks?
3)Does he continuously walk in circles, or just intermittently?
4)Do you see any evidence of fleas or dark "dirt" in his haircoat around his tail base or rear end? Is he on any flea preventative?
5) Does he have a history of problems with his anal glands? Has he ever seen a veterinarian for this or a similar problem?

The more information you provide, the better I can answer your question.

Thank you,
Dr. E.T.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hy doc we just had her at the vet in past month got her rabbie and distemper shot and front line flea med she is 8 yrs old walkes crooked intermediat same with bent tail and she did eat a patch of hair down to bloody skin at top base of tail and bites and licks and drags her butt on ground will be laying down get up walk min circle or differant room and come back in ly down ask her to go out she runs just started to give her worm med too we live across from gulf with mangroves and woods on other side of street she never goes off leash in our back yrd why the walking crooked in reae and crooked tail and disorientt
Thank you for your response.

It sounds like your girl is very itchy on her back near her tail. Many times itchiness in this area is due to fleas (even if you don't see a flea, a single bite can send a flea allergic dog into a itchy "frenzy"). Frontline is a good topical flea preventative, but it needs to be applied frequently and consistly (every 4 weeks at least) to be effective. Has she had her dose recently? If not, I'd recommend repeating the Frontline.

If she itched a patch of hair off near her rear, she may have created a "hot spot" which is the general term used to describe a moist dermatitis (skin infection). This can be managed with a combination of clipping the hair down to the base(best done by a veterinarian, and a prescription of a topical anti-itch medication. If the area is badly infected, she may need an oral antibiotic as well.

Walking crooked may also be due to a problem with her anal glands or intestinal parastes (even if you're not seeing any evidence of actual worms in her stool). If she is "dragging" her rear on the ground she should have her anal glands checked and a fecal sample submitted for evaluation.

Is she disoriented? Does she seem normal mentally? If not, please reply back and I can help to address that problem.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help.

Sincerely, XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well she just runs when u ask her to go out but will whebn she wants and not aggressive at all or wierd stuff
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well she just runs when u ask her to go out but will whebn she wants and not aggressive at all or wierd stuff but sometime disoriented
I'm sorry, I'm afraid I don't understand. . .

Does she run outside to go to the bathroom when you ask her to, or run away from you? Does she urinate and defecate normally?

How is she disoriented? Is she staring into spave? Abnormal eye movement? Intermittant blindness? Turning tight circles? Falling down?

Dr. E.T
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes she will go out when she wants to go mto bathroom i just never seeen her just get up run around room or out of room and back in again and ly down always wanting to lie at someones feet on floor dog gets plenty off attention from all in house and it is like 90 out side so we just let her out to do her thing then back in and afraid of thunder and loud explosions so fourth of njuly and rainy season here in fla she shivers and shutters i give her piece of xxsanax to calm her
It sounds like your dog has separation anxiety in addition to whatever is going on with her itchy backside/ rear end.

Xanax (aka Alprazolam) is commonly used to treat anxiety disorders and storm phobias. It is important to follow your veterinarian's recommendations regarding dosing this medication.

If I have helped you today, please click "Accept" so that I may get credit for my work.