Dr. Karen
Dr. Karen, Small Animal Medical Oncologist
Experience:  Board certified by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Oncology.

How would an overdose of Tramadol affect an older dog with

How would an overdose of Tramadol affect an older dog with congestive heart failure? Would it be painful or just like going to sleep? Thanks for your help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 7 years ago.
Hi, I'm going to try to help.

Are you trying to humanely euthanize your dog? I'm confused and I apologize if that is not your intent but your question reads that way.

Excessive tramadol won't really harm your dog, it'll probably just make him/her really dysphoric (ie - stoned and out of it).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, absolutely not trying to euthanize my own husband and I both gave her meds today and I was worried that we had really od'd her. She's had quite a big of the drug Tramadol ...probably 250 mg. today. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 7 years ago.
Oh goodness, I'm sorry for my previous answer! (We just get a lot of questions like that on this site.)

What size is your dog? There is a huge range of safety in dosing tramadol and so I doubt that there will be ill effects. It can make them sleepy and a little whine-y, but rarely will it hurt them. There are dogs like the size of a lab that I'll prescribe 200mg every 6 hours.
The heart disease should not be an issue with tramadol.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks! She is a very overweight Australian Shepherd, 13 years old, probably weights about 65 to 70 lbs. I was worried that we HAD euthanized our own dog...unintentionally and hoping not, but if so, I sure wanted to know if it was painful for her, as neither of us could live with knowing we had hurt her.
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 7 years ago.
She is well within the range of safety for tramadol. I don't think that should at all be painful for her. If anything, she'll just be a bit out of it. I would probably just skip her next dose.

I think she'll be fine!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks so much for your help, Dr. Karen. You have eased our minds greatly about our precious friend for 13 years. Thanks again.