Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
20804272

my dog has a green spot on its stomach that is surrounded by

my dog has a green spot on its stomach that is surrounded by reddish irritated skin. It appears to be some sort of blister or something... but I can't figure out what it is. I don't think it has been there for long. I'm always rubbing her tummy and I only noticed it today.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Can you give me a couple piece of information?

1. How old is she and what breed of dog?
2. This green spot on its tummy, is it near any of the nipples?
3. Is there any hair loss in the affected area?
4. Does she have any previous medical problems, especially allergies?
5. Is the spot itchy for her? Does it bother her?
6. Is the green spot pus-like?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. She is a 2 year old Shih Tzu
2. It is sort of in the middle, but after inspecting it further, I think she may have more, closer to her private parts. Theres one large one, right in the middle of her tummy between the two nipples, and there is one medium sized one right next to her private area. There are other spots next to her private area, but they are very small and I may be confusing them with the freckles she has on her tummy.
3. There is no hair loss
4. I am not sure about previous medical problems, except very severe intestinal problems. She was abandoned in our parents back yard a few months ago with the other dogs and we took her in. She does seem to scratch sometimes, even when we have treated her with fleas. We keep her clean, bathing her about 1 to 2 times a week but she has never shown any adverse effects to the products or shampoos we are using.
5. It doesn't seem like it bothers her. When I was trying to inspect what it was, I took a damp paper towel to move aside the hair and she didn't seem to be very bothered. Usually if I do something that is hurting or irritating her she will jump and bark.
6. The green is pus. Greenish yellow. The spot underneath is red and irritated.

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 5 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for the updated info.

This sounds very much like dermatitis/skin infection. The green pus is definitely a concern. This problem could have been a result of allergies or just a simple fluke. Either way, she is going to need medications. I would suggest to bring her to your regular veterinarian and find out what kind of bugs we have. And the chances are she will need to go onto an antibiotic for a few weeks.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery