Dr. Ellen
Dr. Ellen, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of mixed animal practice

My dog(s) ate a package of beef jerky. Im guessing the sodium

My dog(s) ate a package of beef jerky. I'm guessing the sodium content was about 1800mg. The dogs weigh 45 and 75 lbs, although I'm not sure if this was a shared snack or horded by just one.

Also, the little packet that says "do not eat" was guess what -- eaten.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Oh boy,Customer sounds like some naughty pooches. :)

I wonder how big of a package of beef jerky it was? More than likely it will be ok. The silica packet will probably not cause any problems in dogs that size, should just pass on through. You may want to encourage plenty of water consumption for the next few days to help it pass.

I would just keep a close eye and watch for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, etc. If you see any of these I would pursue some veterinary attention. Honestly, they may vomit tonight after consuming that much and that would be fine - less to worry about passing.

It might be best to offer a bland diet only tomorrow such as boiled chicken and rice or you can pick up some low residue canned food (such as science diet i/d).

Good luck! I hope this helps.