Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

My dog has a swollen bubble under the right side of her tongue

Customer Question

My dog has a swollen bubble under the right side of her tongue and she is drooling alot. She is eating and drinking a little bit, she was fine last night I just noticed this today...she is acting fine, i have an apt with the vet tomorrow just worried..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 7 years ago.

This bubble is typically a response to inflammation. It could be due to an insect sting/bite, a chemical burn, an electrical burn, having been poked there with a stick or sharp object, or any number of things. I would definitely see your vet tomorrow, but in the meantime, you can give Benadryl in case it is due to an insect. The dose is 1mg per pound, and you round to the nearest dose. Benadryl comes in 25mg tablets/capsules. If your dog is 25#, you would give 25mg. If your dog is 100#, you would give 100mg. Anything in between, just round to the nearest multiple of 25. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best of luck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I only have liquid childrens Benadryl do you think it would be ok to give her that?
How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am just guessing but I would say 40ish lbs, she is a small German Shorthaired Pointer.
I would give 3 and 1/2 teaspoons of the liquid Benadryl. But like I said, you still need to see your vet, because there could be something stuck in the mouth, or there could be another problem. This is just something you can try at home in the meantime. Take care.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes we have an apt for 0830 tomorrow morning, Im just very worried as she is never sick! EVER
Well, hopefully the Benadryl will help. Take care.