MY DOG ATE A GARDEN SLUG I THINK,ARE THEY POISONOUS? I USE NO CHEMICALS AROUND MY YARD TO KILL THEM ,IT'S BEEN OVER 1 HOUR,
As long as you are not using any pesticides to kill the slugs in your garden, your dog should be fine.
They are not normally poisonous.
It is VERY RARE but sometimes it can give your dog certain worms- sign of this would be diarrhea or coughing. BUt this is VERY unlikely, especially if this is a one time incident.
Write back if anything is wrong.Hope this helps!
DEAR DR.KAREN I WAS READING UP AND SAW WHERE THEY COULD DEVELOPE LUNG WORM OR THE SLUGS SLIME CAN CARRY IT.ITS BEEN ALMOST 2 HOURS,SOLOMON SEEMS FINE,BUT IF HE SHOULD GET WORMS WOULD THIS BE DEADLY,HE HAS EVERY SHOT THERE IS TO HAVE ,LEPTO ,RABIES CORONA,,JUST DEWORMED HIM WITH STRONGID LAST WEK MY DR.GIVES ME A SUPPLY,THAT WAS FOR MY LITTER OF PUPPIES.I WILL FOLLOW UP WITH DR.LINDQUIST OF BLACK HORSE PIKE ANIMAL HOSPITAL IN NJ.I WILL LOOK FOR THE SIGNS OF COUGHING AND DIARRHEA.RIGHT NOW HE IS SNORING,HE MIGHT HAVE JUST PICKED IT UP IN HIS MOUTH AND DROPPED IT,NOT SURE IF HE ATE IT,BUT WILL KEEP AN EYE ON HIM.THANK YOU DR.KAREN,COULD YOU TELL ME WHERE YOU WENT TO SCHOOL AT?
I went to vet school at the University of Florida in Gainesville and graduated in 2004 with honors.
Yes, lungworms COULD occur but I doubt it.
He should be fine. Nice talking to you and hi to Solomon!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH,DR.KAREN, I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THIS SITE EXISTED,JUST ASKED A QUESTION ON GOOGLE.I WILL SHARE THIS SITE WITH EVERYONE,GOD BLESS YOU.
Graduated vet school with honors; Own 6 dogs, big and small.