Doc James
Doc James, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years small animal veterinarian, acupuncturist
8995925

my dog has a fluid filled sac like lump on the tip of her ear.

Customer Question

my dog has a fluid filled sac like lump on the tip of her ear. she is a weimeraner.   I dont see anything like an insect bite and there are no signs or symptoms of infection. what do you think it is?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc James replied 7 years ago.
Hi

It sounds like she has a hematoma, which means a blood vessel in her ear has ruptured.

There are only three real choices with hematomas. The first is to do nothing, except take steroids. The hematoma will reabsorb over a month or two, but the ear will most likely be deformed by the time it heals. Often vets will do steroids to minimize the deformity. The second choice is to drain it, but this is often not successful. Often the vessel has not healed, so even if you drain the blood, it fills right back up again. The third option is surgery, where they repair the vessel, drain the fluid, and sew it back up again. This is the best way, but it is surgery.

Talk to your vet. We all have differing recommendations on what we feel is the best choice, but your options are limited.

Good luck,

james