Dr. Vee
Dr. Vee, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with 19 years experience, Emergency and Critical Care, General Practice, Instructor
20335470

pit bull: his anus..do to treat this or does he need surgery

Customer Question

Hello, I have an 8 year old pitbull that has a hernia on the right side of his anus, my question to you is there something I an do to treat this or does he need surgery?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Vee replied 5 years ago.
DearCustomer
Where exactly is the "hernia"? The reason I ask, it that there are anal glands near the anus, at the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock position in respect to the anus. Then there is a perineal hernia, which is farther away from the rectum, between the rectum and the leg.

Let me know.
Thanks, XXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's between the 1 and 2 o'clock posistion also I took him to a vet and thats what they told me and said the surgery was gonna be about 1800.00 dollars.Now he shows to be in no pain at all and has energy like a 1 year old puppy..
Expert:  Dr. Vee replied 5 years ago.
Good MorningCustomer
Sounds like a perineal hernia. There is a weakness of the muscles in that area. We're not really sure what causes it, but it is believed to be asociated with male hormones, straining to defecate, or a congenital weakness. Since your dog is 8-years old, it may be due to male hormones, especially if he is not neutered. The problem is that right now he is fine. Unfortunately, things can go south in a hurry. What can happen is organs, such as the urinary bladder, large and/or small intestine can become entrapped in the hernia, and strangulation (cutting off the blood supply) of those organs can occur. If that happens, it becomes an emergency situation and you end up spending 3,000 instead of 1800. You may be able to shop around different veterinary clinics, but keep in mind, not all veterinarians are created equal, so make sure you get references from friends, relatives, neighbors, other veterinarians, etc.

Good luck to you and your dog. Let me know how it turns out.
Dr. Vee
Dr. Vee, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with 19 years experience, Emergency and Critical Care, General Practice, Instructor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much for you help and I will let you know how things turn out..
Expert:  Dr. Vee replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome. Thank you for your question and accept. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Dr. Vee