Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

Is it ok for dogs to pee only once a day My dog is a toy

Customer Question

Is it ok for dogs to pee only once a day?

My dog is a toy poodle who turns 2 yr old this June 09. Previously, he was in boarding places since age of 3 months as I was not able to bring him home, and i recently just bring him home to my new house in June 09. However, he is very attached to me as i visit him everyday and bring him out. When i move him to the new house, i started to paper train him and initially, he refuse to pee indoors, and would wait till i bring him out (about 2x a day) before he eliminates. After 2 weeks, he took to peeing indoors on paper, and on some days he pee 2x a day (once in the morning and once at night). Though recently (for the past 5 days), he only pee at night. Is there any health issues with dogs peeing only once a day?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 5 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. Generally, urinating once a day isn't a problem, it just means his kidneys are functioning well. Kidneys that aren't functioning well produce so much urine that a dog will go numerous times a day. However, this does put a lot of stress on his kidneys and can be a sign of dehydration. If he is acting otherwise well (eating normal, active, etc.) then try putting some water on his food to increase his water intake. It is better for his kidneys that he not stay dehydrated as this puts stress on them. If you have more questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what does it mean by putting stress on his kidneys - does it mean over time, my dog will get affected?

Sorry I probably didn't explain that well. Yes, it means that over time the kidney has to work harder than normal and can cause some problems such as early kidney failure at an older age or even cause urinary stones. That may take months to years but a constant of dehydration is not good for the body. It's not something that will cause problems for the kidneys over a few days.

Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My dog just vomitted a yellowish liquid out. Is this any cause for concern?

He is on interceptor.

Hello again. This is Dr.Christian. I was offline last night when you sent your message. One vomiting episode is not necessarily a problem unless he is acting lethargic or not eating. If doesn't seem to be feeling better after the vomiting then have him seen by your vet.