Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I have a small chihuahua/ chow mix dog that is 13 years old.

I have a small chihuahua/ chow mix dog that is 13 years old. He has had a cough that has gotten worse and he now can't even hold his own weight up. I don't know what to do. We have had problems takinkg him to the vet in the past becaus of his temper. I don't know what to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your little one's significant cough. I would say that your previous problem of taking him into the vet shouldn't negate taking him into the vet this time around. I know it can be a traumatic experience for some little ones. But, the goal is to help them to feel better and to live longer by doing this. At this point in time, the cough that your little one has could be something very serious. If he's not on heart worm prevention - that could be it. Your vet can test for this with a blood test. It could also be a primary lung issue which chest films can help to identify. Coughing is also a possible sign of significant heart disease and if not dealt with soon, it will only get worse. Could he have a trachea issue such as an infection or collapse - both of these are also possible.

To be able to begin to tell them all apart is very difficult without an exam and some basic tests. I would strongly recommend taking him in given his age, the fact that the cough is worsening and that he's loosing weight. I know he might not like it much, but it is in his best interest.