Doctor GF
Doctor GF, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate, caring and practical. 20 yrs of private practice experience.

Is sorbitol in a dogs toothpaste harmful to the dog The

Is sorbitol in a dog's toothpaste harmful to the dog? The dog has heart problems sick sinus syndrome and Addison's.
Hello Lydia,
Thanks for the question.
Just so I'm clear.....this is a dog tooth paste?
What brand?
Or is this a human tooth paste you are using on your dog?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's dog's toothpaste.
OK Thanks.
Sorbitol is not harmful or toxic to dogs. It would have no impact on sick sinus syndrome or Addison's Disease.

Xylitol...which is used in many chewing gums is EXTREMELY toxic to dogs. Even one stick of gum in a 100# XXXXX could cause low blood sugar and liver damage.

Hope that helps.

If this has been helpful to you then please click the green accept button so that I may be credited for my time. If you have follow-up questions then click the reply button. As always, a thorough hands-on exam by a veterinarian is recommended. I am only providing you with my opinion based on the information you have provided. Legally, I can not prescribe federally regulated medications or diagnose your pet’s condition without an examination. All feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated.
Dr. GF