Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

my dogs tail got stuck in the door this evening, and about

my dogs tail got stuck in the door this evening, and about an inch of the end of it broke off, it is bleeding quite a bit, what can i do to slow the bleeding, and to ease any discomfort he may be having?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear about your little one's accident. Can you help me with a few questions?
1) What breed is your dog?
2) How long ago did the injury occur?
3) Do you have an ER clinic near you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he is a bloodhound 4yrs old. the injury happened 2 hours ago, im out in the country and it is over an hour to any ER (vet)
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
4) When you say about an inch of tail is broken off, do you mean the skin got pulled off - sort of like a glove being pulled off a finger?
5) How much is it bleeding now? Just a drop or two? Spurting?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no it was more than just skin, like a vertibrate, part that bends in his tail, the bleeding is dripping, but non stop.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have it bandged up and he is resting, will he be ok until in the morning?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
So the injury totally amputated the end of the tail off - skin, muscle, vertebrae and all? What do you have it bandaged up with? Is the blood soaking through it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have it wraped in a clean wash cloth and tape, there is som blood soaking through at this time, has now been over three hours since the injury, what can i do to make him comfortable, he keeps licking at his buttocks and tail, im sure it is because it hurts.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like the makeshift bandage that you have on the tail should do the trick. Just make sure that the tape isn't too tight on the tail. If he lets you, could you sit and put more direct pressure on the tip of the tail to get better pressure for 15 to 20 minutes. This might help a better clot to form.

As far as giving him something to help with the pain. That is a catch 22. One of the common at home medications that owners always ask about giving is buffered aspirin. There is a dose for this, but I would be leery to use it in him for the fact that a non-steroidal like this will cause the platelets in his blood to not form a clot as well, and this could cause him to bleed more. In all reality, the bleeding is the more possible life threatening issue. Yes, it is uncomfortable, but I would rather the bleeding stop and kept under control.

If you keep him in a quiet area for the night, he should be ok if the bleeding stops. I would get him to your vet as soon as you can for them to then clean the wound up and surgically close it.   At that point, they will also get pain meds and antibiotics going.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian