Dr. P
Dr. P, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years small animal private practice & emergency.

I own a mini dachshund who has been diagnosed with liver disease,

I own a mini dachshund who has been diagnosed with liver disease, due to the fact that he is throwing off high count enzymes from his liver. Our vet doesn't seem to be concerned about this, however, I am wondering what we should be looking for, is this a fatal disease, or can he be treated with a diet and medications. He is 10 1/2 years old and I don't want to have to subject him to any surgeries or studies at his age. He doesn't deserve that. Thank you for your help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. P replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

can you tell me how high the counts are if you know?

Is he on any medications right now and what are you currently feeding him?

Did your vet discuss anything with you????
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
His liver enzyme counts are now over 1,000. We are feeding him a liver diet from canned food that the vet sells, along with some of his regular dog food. (My husband also feeds him from the table when we have dinner, which we have done since he was a puppy). He is not on any medications at this point and no our vet doesn't discuss much with us, he's always in a hurry it seems. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. P replied 7 years ago.
Ok being on the liver diet is a good start. That alone can help to bring levels down. You can also try some of the natural products like Denamarin which is made partly from milk thistle which has been proven to lower liver enzymes. They even recommend this product for dogs that are on medications that elevate liver enzymes as a side effect like phenobarbitol. You could easily start this medication
Here is their website:
you could use diet and a drug like this and then recheck liver enzymes in about a month and see what is happening. it's worth a try

I hope this helps some. If you have more questions you can reply to this.

Dr. P