Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

how much insulin to put an old 90 lbs. dog to he

how much insulin to put an old 90 lbs. dog to he will not suffer?

This is a cruel way to euthanize an animal, do not do it. He will suffer from glucose drop, confusion and then it will progress to full body seizures. This will lead to seizures that end up causing overheating and brain death. This would be a horrible way to go and I can not recommend it. I think if this were done in a vet hospital that vet would be practicing animal cruelty and could lose their license.

Instead, have this done humanely and without suffering with your vet. We use an anesthetic medication so that they go to sleep prior to the heart stopping.

I'm sorry you have to make this decision but don't make your dog suffer by giving an overdose of insulin.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you. I myself am an son and his wife are doing's absolutely inhumane; they do not listen to me ...and probably will go through with it regardless of what anyone says.

I'm sorry for this dog, what a bad way to go.

There are mobile vets out there that will come to your house and perform euthanasia. Something to mention if they want it done at home.