Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Can I give my dog ibuprofen to reduce pain or swelling for

Can I give my dog ibuprofen to reduce pain or swelling for potential limber tail until the veterinarian office opens tomorrow? If so how much? I have generic 200 mg ibuprofen tablets and Bayer Low Dose 81 mg aspirin tablets
Submitted: 7 years ago via Maybeckvet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
I would not advise ibuprofen for any dog, since it is very easy to overdose and cause severe stomach and kidney damage!

Aspirin is a controversial subject -- I try to persuade pet owners to NOT use it because it commonly causes stomach irritation (or even ulcers). I also try to persuade pet owners to not use it, because it limits the choices for other medications that your veterinarian might wish to prescribe. Sometimes, steroids (cortisone) are used for managing painful or inflammatory conditions, and if aspirin has been used, it means that your vet might not be able to safely prescribe any cortisone type medications, for fear of dangerous side effects.