Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
7995545

is all spice safe for dogs

Customer Question

is all spice safe for dogs?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Are you planning to make dog cookies with allspice in them, or did your dog eat a container of allspice?

What age and breed of dog?

Fiona
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am making a batch of dog muffins. I put a little in and reliazed it had all spice in it and not just nutmeg so I scraped out as much as I saw.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Ahh... and you have used nutmeg before without problems?

what age and breed of dog do you have? Or what kind of mix?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I have used nutmeg. It's from a dog cookbook. I have a golden, newf and a pit/lab mix.

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

Allspice is not toxic at the levels that you would be using in the muffins (lucky dogs to get fresh baked muffins for breakfast!).

In large quantities, however, spices can be a problem for dogs. In fact, nutmeg can be a problem for dogs, as well as for people in large quantities.

Nutmeg contains chemicals that can cause severe hallucinations and anti-cholinergic signs including rapid heart rate, and headaches.

In humans it takes 1 or more
tablespoons of ground nutmeg to cause signs. In large dogs like yours, it is very unlikely that you would ever have a problem as small quantities of nutmeg and allspice are not harmful.

For your interest, there are a number of foods and products that are safe in humans but NOT safe in dogs and cats.

On the list of common household toxins for dogs are:

- grapes and raisins
- macadamia nuts
- moldy nuts of any sort
- chocolate
- caffeine
- antifreeze
- corn cobs (these quickly perforate the intestines)
- onions
- bread dough
- tomato VINES and leaves
- cocoa bean mulch for gardens

You can read more here:
http://grassyhill.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/pet-toxins/

http://www.aolhealth.com/healthy-living/pet-food-danger

Now, in terms of veggies, I would tend to avoid Broccoli. It is probably ok in small amounts to healthy dogs, but I have a hard time recommending it as it can cause a lot of problems in certain animals. Broccoli can cause calcium oxalate crystals to form in the bladder.

Here is a list from the Western Veterinary Conference 2004 by a lecture given by a specialist in this field. Her name isXXXXX DVM, MS, DABVT and she works out of Oklahoma Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory, Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, OK, USA

The following is a list of common toxic vegetables:
******************************************************

Vegetable garden Toxic effect
beets* blood, kidney

broccoli* goiter

brussel sprouts* GI, others

cabbage* GI, others

corn stalks Blood

garlic* blood

onions* blood

pea* CNS

potato vines GI, CNS

rhubarb leaves kidney

tomato vine GI

Many of these plants (*) must be ingested in large quantity or lower amounts for a long period of time to cause a problem. The cardiotoxic plants are the most dangerous. Single feedings can cause death.

**********************************************

So... those are the veggies you should AVOID! That said, there are still some vegetables that are safe! Carrots are great, as many dogs enjoy crunching on them. Also, you can give celery and lettuce. It is fine to offer your dogs small pieces of banana or apple, as well as melons (watermelon, honeydew and cantalope). Green beans are also fine!

I tend to be VERY cautious about fats in dogs as they are prone to pancreatitis if they eat high fat meals. So, I would limit the amount of cheese, peanut butter and other high fat things.

I hope that this answers your question?

If this has been helpful, please click on accept and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes, Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you! I am making the muffins for a bake sale at the animal shelter my family and I volunteer at. Happy 4th of July!
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Yummmm!

I hope that the bake sale goes well and raises a lot of money!

Happy 4th of July to you too!
Fiona