Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I just found a toenail growing on my dogs tail. I pulled it

I just found a toenail growing on my dog's tail. I pulled it off and it bled a little. Is this common and should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
How certain are you that it was truly a toenail versus a foreign body that looks like nail?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It looks just like a toenail and it was bleeding a little when I pulled it off. This happened once before on her neck but we just dismissed it, thinking it was just a foreign body that looked like a toenail.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
Okay.
Well, I am going to assume it's not a toenail from another pet that simply came off on your pet.
Yes, I am concerned.
With the little bit of bleeding, it is very predisposed to getting infected. In addition, without truly understanding why there is aberrant growth at the location, it is worth not only having the vet examine the skin, but also bring in the nail for them to look at.
There are some awkward tumors that can cause this type of growth, so definitely worth investigating and to prevent infection.

Good Luck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. We'll call our vet tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
Sounds like a plan. Good Luck