Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 7.2 pound mini dachshund ate a few (unknown how many because

My 7.2 pound mini dachshund ate a few (unknown how many because they were broken up) of my seasonal birth control. She is behaving normally and not showing any signs of discomfort or vomiting. Should I be concerned? She ate them around eight hours ago. We just caught it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer. Can you help me with a few questions?
1) What is the active ingrediant in the tablet?
2) Can you tell me the exact name of the product?
3) What is the most she could have eaten - how many in the entire package?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jolessa is the exact name. No more then 16 because that was all that was out of the package but we found large chunks in our carpet. And the active ingrediant is levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol .15mg/.03 mg
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
4) How long ago could she have eaten them?
5) How is she acting now?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

About 4o'clock this morning we caught her. So its been about 6 and a half hours. She is behaving normally with no real symptoms. She sneezed once or twice and she seems a bit more lathergic then normal but I could be worrying too much. Regardless if she is, it's not extreme more like she is a little tired.

By the way, she is about 7 1/2 months old.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
<p>Customer,</p><p> </p><p>I'm sorry, I'm going to have to let one of the other experts finish up on your situation. I'm at work and I've had a couple really bad emergencies come in - need to go to surgery ASAP. Your in good hands here!</p><p> </p><p>Dr. Bruce</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay thank you
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

I'm sorry no one has got to your question before I was able to get back on. Here's what you need to know about the birth control pills. The product has estrogen in it and that is the biggest potential concern. Estrogen could cause bone marrow suppression at levels greater than 1 mg/kg. She is well below this level. And if more of the tablets were in the carpet (I figured her eating all 16 tablets), she's even lower.

She should be ok. At this point, I still tell owners to watch for any weakness, lethargy or collapse.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian