Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.

Our Shih Tzu (14mo) started bleeding from his anus (bright

Our Shih Tzu (14mo) started bleeding from his anus (bright red color) while being borded at a local Veterinary Hospital. He was agressively treated with IV antibiotics, IV fluids and steroids. He died within 24 hours. We are trying to understand why. . . we were told "Septic ShocK"???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 7 years ago.

Do you know if any bloodwork was done?

My first thought is that he had something called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE). In this disease, there is pretty much just fresh blood passed (no diarrhea) and the dog can become really sick, get dehydrated, and in the worst case, die. HGE is thought to be caused by toxins produced by abnormal bacteria in the intestines--Clostridium, Salmonella, maybe E. coli. In some cases the toxins and/or bacteria can pass through the intestinal wall due to inflammation of the intestines (or perhaps there was some obstruction or perforation), then the bacteria can get into the bloodstream and make the dog septic. It sounds like he was treated appropriately, but the infection was too advanced.

Hope that helps--I'm sorry for your loss as I'm sure it was such a shock.

Dr. Scarlett