Dr. P
Dr. P, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years small animal private practice & emergency.
14859682

Hello. My dog Gwen, a golden retriever, has had an upset stomach

Customer Question

Hello. My dog Gwen, a golden retriever, has had an upset stomach for about 3 days. She has only thrown up less than 4cc of white liquid vomit. She seems fine after a bit but when she seems like she is about to throw up, she tries to hold it back. She is also eating a lot of grass which I know helps calm a dogs stomach. Is there anything wrong or anything I need to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. P replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Can you tell me how old your dog is?

Does she have an appetite?

What are you feeding her?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Gwen is 9 years old. She does have an appetite. I feed her a muticolored original dog food. Just a few minutes ago, she was chewing on her bone that is flavored and threw it up. Is that what is making her stomach upset
Expert:  Dr. P replied 5 years ago.
HI,
Yes the bone could be upsetting her. Also, chewing grass will make most dogs vomit so they will eat it if they are feeling nauseous. The best thing to do is to fast her from food and water for the next 12 hours. No treats and don't let her eat grass. Tomorrow morning if the vomiting has stopped, then you can start on small amounts of just water first (1/4 cup at a time every 1 to 2 hours). If she can hold down the water then you can start her on very small amounts of a bland food. I usually have owners boil up some chicken and rice. Again, feed a few spoonfuls every 1 to 2 hours. Do that for the rest of the day. If at any time, when starting her back on the water or the food, she vomits, then I would recommend you have her checked out by your vet. Most often, the fasting will slow the vomiting down for them.

Dr. P
Dr. P, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 11 years small animal private practice & emergency.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much!! I will try this and email you if she is doing better! Thank you again
Expert:  Dr. P replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome and I hope it helps!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello. ItsCustomerthe next day. So Gwen has not thrown up in 24 hours!!! Thank you so much!!! I was just wondering, since she was better, whenever she sits down to give me her paw she snorts or as I call it her purr. The sound is pretty much like a snort. Is she having trouble breathing or is her nose just narrower? I have been taking her on walks all the time and she loves it so I don't think she is overweight. She is 55-60 pounds.

Again thank you so much!!!

Customer/p>

Expert:  Dr. P replied 5 years ago.
Hmmm, some goldens "chuff" which is make a noise when they want something or to get attention. If this is just occuring since the vomiting episode, sometimes it is because they burn their throat a bit with the bile and they will snort because their throat is a bit irritated. That should go away with time. If she were truly having trouble breathing then she would be gasping with an open mouth or her tongue would be bluish. It could be that she does have narrower nasal openings and that could cause her some nasal noise. As long as she is acting alright otherwise, no weight loss, no profuse coughing or exercise intolerance then I wouldn't be too overly concerned. If it worsens then I would have her checked by your vet.

Ps. Glad the vomiting is under control!!!

Dr. P