Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog has high ALT liver enzymes. He was having seizure and

Customer Question

My dog has high ALT liver enzymes. He was having seizure and was put on phenobarbitol and potassium bromide. His Liver enzymes got worse from 898 to 3000. He is now off the phenobarbitol. a week ago abnormal growths were discovered in one nostral. he is now on prednisone. I have been giving him milk thistle 80% silymarin twice a day for quite some time as well as S-Adenosylmethionine once a day and a mens vitamine once a day.
I have not hand the growth tested for cancer because at 11 1/2 years old I would not put him through radiation and chemo. I bought some supplements, Onco-x with contains many vitamins but also 80% silymarin. my dog weighs 34lbs. how much is too much silymarin can too much do more harm?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 years ago.

Hi Colleen. I am so sorry to hear about your guy. He is having a very difficult time but I am very proud of how you are handling this situation. The addition of Milk thistle and the S-Adenosylmethionine is a very good thing for your guy with such a bad liver disease. The dosage of silymarin is 200 mg per 10pounds so for your guy, 600 mg divided twice daily is a good dose. The rule of thumb is a percentage of the human dose such as 30% for a 30 lb dog such as yours. The container of supplement containing the silymarin will have the mg per dose of this product and you can figure it out from there.

From all my reading, there really is no way to overdose on milk thistle. the body will excrete what it does not use.

Good Luck with your guy!!!

Dr. Loretta
Click REPLY if you need more info.Click ACCEPT if I have answered your question.

Thank you so much for your question! This cannot replace an exam by a veterinarian.
Feedback and Bonuses are encouraged.

Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you
Colleen, you are very welcome!! My thoughts are with you and your old friend!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this is Mikeys 2nd week on the prednison. Ideally he should be on 1 pill every other day at this point. But, when I try to skip a day he sneezes hard get a bloody nose. how hard is it on him to be on prednisone everyday? Are there alternatives?

HI again, Colleen. The prednisone is a part of a chemotherapeutic regimen and Mikey needs to have this. If the dose is low(5-10mg), there is no harm. THis is a very low dose(a therapeutic dose is 1 mg per pound), and there are no lther alternatives for the effect that we need, unfortunately. Even if you give 5-10 mg every day, there is no harm to his alreday compromised system. A higher dose will be hard on his liver but, sometimes, you have to compromise for the best quality of life for Mikey.

Does that help, Colleen?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes thanks again
You are very welcome again, Colleen!!