Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years in veterinary practice for dogs, cats and pocket pets.

I would like to try uva ursi on my 13+ Golden Retriever. She

I would like to try uva ursi on my 13+ Golden Retriever. She weighs about 70 lbs. Would you kindly recommend dosage?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Marie here...

Can I ask why you are wanting to use uva ursi? Does your dog have some bladder issues? If so, can you tell me a little bit more about her condition?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, she has had chronic UTI's and has been on a prophylactic dose of anitbiotics for some time. She has now developed achalasia and can no longer swallow the pills with ease. We have tried crushing them but she recognizes the powder and will not eat it. The achalasia has caused her to vomit and urinate. She is becoming increasingly incontinent and her urine now has a rather foul odor. My own vet utilizes holistic remedies and I called him today but he is not available until late tomorrow. I learned about uva ursi from my sister who has a lab with a similar problem and swears by it. Frankly, our dog is likely on her last legs. She has been a wonderful pet to us for so long and I want to do whatever I can to alleviate her issues as soon as I can.

Many thanks for your help.

Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
Ah, I see. Thanks for that additional information.

There is not a whole lot of research on uva-ursi but the research that is out there does suggest that it can be helpful for chronic uti. I wouldn't rely on it to be a miracle drug though.

If you do want to try it I would highly suggest getting the ok from your vet first. I have been searching for the dose for you but it appears that uva ursi comes in many different forms. Do you have a liquid, powder or other form? Is there a dose for humans on the bottle?

Dr. Marie.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Many thanks for your help. I don't have it yet but I thought I would go to the health food store. My sister says she sprinkles in on the dogs food so I thought it was a powder.
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
I have found many references to uva ursi on the Veterinary Information Network but dosing information is hard to come by.

For most herbs we don't know the exact dosage that should be effective. So, when we don't know, we usually tend to extrapolate from the human dose. The medication should have a dose on the bottle which is safe for humans to take. For a dog of 70 lbs you would generally give 1.5-2 times the dose that is recommended for humans. (I know it seems backwards, but dogs usually need a higher dose of most medications or supplements than people).

Uva Ursi is not a totally benign drug though. Given long term it can reduce potassium levels. It can be toxic if given in too high a dose as well. If I was recommending it to a patient I would use it for 4-5 days in a row when it seems like an infection is brewing, but I would not use it long term.

And again, if you do use this medication you will need to do so on the ok of your veterinarian.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.