Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog has been coughing for about 2 weeks now. I took his

My dog has been coughing for about 2 weeks now. I took his temp and it is halfway between 101 & 102. He coughs when he is barking at someone/thong and when he gets excited and playing with a toy. However, he never did this before. It looks like he wants to cough something up -but nothing comes up -no bile or anything. When he first started he coughed all the time. Now it has lessened to about 2 x a day. Any suggestion?
Sorry to hear about this cough.
The temperature is fine.
The cough to persist this length of time is not.
Possible explanations include bronchitis (either due to an infection or allergic), heart disease, collapsing trachea, lung foreign body, to name a few.
Definitely, even if it has reduced, the persistent cough is always an easy indication to warrant getting some simple chest x-rays just to be safe. The x-rays will also help to determine if a course of antibiotics are even necessary.

For allergic issues, it wouldn't hurt to give an antihistamine, but I would not rely on this treatment. X-rays would be the best.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diphenhydramine-benadryl/page1.aspx

Hope that info helps
Good Luck
I wish the best for both you and your pet. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
I truly appreciate positive feedback if my advice has been helpful or informative.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mickey is a 20 pound schaunzer and 4 years old. I live in Scottsdale AZ where there is also Valley Fever. I will try the Benadryl first as my last dog also had these symptoms at this time of year from Purple Sage. He needed allergy shots -but I used Benadryl instead. Thank you for you help -it was worth the payment. If he doesn't stop coughing by the weekend with Benadryl then I shall take Mickey for a chest X ray --he has a great Vet who treated all my dogs! thank you again!
Patty
Your welcome Patty.
Good Luck