Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years in veterinary practice for dogs, cats and pocket pets.

Is it common for dogs to be constipated after they are spa

Is it common for dogs to be constipated after they are spayed?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Marie.

No, it is not common for dogs to be constipated after a spay surgery. I don't believe I have ever had a client complain about this and I have done thousands of spays.

How long ago was your dog spayed?
Is she trying to defecate but not producing any stool?
Have you seen any stool from her? If so can you describe it for me?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has not tried to go at all. She has eaten though. She was spayed on Friday.
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
ah, OK. I am not too worried about this. As long as she is eating and not trying to defecate I would not be worried.

She likely had a period of fasting before her surgery and likely did not eat much the day of her spay as well.

You should notice a bm in the next 24-48 hours. While it may not be necessary it won't hurt to put a pinch of bran on her next meal.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been feeding her wet food because she also had 4 teeth pulled and her shots at the same time. She has eaten 2 and a half of the Ceasars wet food since the surgery. I gave her about a teaspoon of pumpkin about 20 minutes ago (something I read on the internet). Do you think I am feeding her enough?
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
This depends on her size, but it does not sound like a lot of food. You don't need to be restricting her food at this point.

Dr. Marie.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is only 3 pounds. Should I let her eat until she stops?
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
Ah, for 3 pounds that is probably an ok amount. There is usually a guide on the container that tells you how much to feed and usually that guide is a little on the high side. If she still seems hungry I would give her more.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your advice. I plan on calling her vet first thing in the morning.
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
Sounds good. Hope all goes well!
Dr. Marie.