Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years in veterinary practice for dogs, cats and pocket pets.

is there any difference between amoxicillin for dogs and p

is there any difference between amoxicillin for dogs and people
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
Hi there and thanks for your question.

I'd like to answer your question, but I would like to tell you first that I will not be able to advise you in any way on giving meds to your dog as only your veterinarian can do that. However, if you would like I can answer your question and also answer any questions about your dog's symptoms.

If you were looking for dosing information about amoxicillin or whether you can give human amoxicillin to your dog then this is not something we can answer.

Let me know...If you would like me to answer then just hit reply. Or, if you would like to withdraw your question you can [email protected]

Dr. Marie.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I just want to know if what is given to dogs and or human is the same drug is there anything different.

Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
Generally human amoxicillin is the same as what we give to dogs. It is not an antibiotic that I prescribe often for dogs as many of the types of infections that dogs can get can be resistant to amoxicillin. We often use a drug called Clavamox which is a mixture of amoxcillin and clavulanic acid and this usually does a much better job.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.