How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CriticalCareVet Your Own Question
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 63982
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
CriticalCareVet is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is shellfish harmful to dogs

Customer Question

Is shellfish harmful to dogs
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Yes - shellfish can be toxic!

This type of poison can cause paralysis.

Mussels and oysters are most common toxic shellfish.

Most often the shellfish are older and have been contaminated with bacteria, but the overall answer to your question is that it can be toxic!

I hope this information is helpful!

_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.