LSU-Vet
LSU-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
12131827

my dog has had increased thirst and decreased appetite. energy

my dog has had increased thirst and decreased appetite. energy level is good. she has been receiving a kidney cleansing regime from a holistic vet but i see there is 25 per cent alcohol in this. my traditional vet tells me her bun is 55 and that her cret is 6.5 and had been 5.7, he wants to put her on enanipril can i cointinue to combine some alternative treatments such as herbs whcih support kidney and what is the success with enanipril
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for writing in,

Enalapril is used in kidney disease when there is evidence of protein in the urine. Protein indicates that there is damage to the kidneys and protein can lead to further damage. It would be in your pets best interest to start enalapril in this situation. I have used it several times and with great success. To my knowledge there have been no studies when using enalapril with herbs, but do speak with your vet about this and I'm sure he can do research on the herbs you are using. They are likely fine to be used in conjunction. I hope this helps!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what should i do about her diet. she will not eat canned food so i can not see her eating a prescription die. so you have seen success with this medication. any suggestions for renal diet and are there any side effects to this medication.
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 7 years ago.
I would definitely suggest a kidney friendly diet and there are several commercial diets to choose from, so you may just have to find out which is best for your girl. You can make a home cooked meal, but you should speak with a veterinary nutritionist about this, they are available at most veterinary schools. They will work with her to formulate the best diet for her and her condition. With enalapril the benefits definitely outweigh the side effects, I personally have never had a problem with Enalapril.