Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

how long can a pitbull stay pregnant and can they go through

Customer Question

how long can a pitbull stay pregnant and can they go through a false pregnancy for the full 9 wks.?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.

Pregnancy lasts ~ 62 days in dogs, give or take 2-4 days. A false pregnancy will also go about the same time although we can also see it last a bit shorter (~ 55-58 days). The milk production can last longer than the 62 days until they dry up.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My dog is going on day 70 but she still acting normal with no signs of labor.There's been milk leaking for a week now.I don't have the money to get an x-ray done to find out forsure.I'm really confused on what to do.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.

70 days is a long time. I would guess that this is a false pregnancy and she just needs to dry up. If she is indeed pregnant, then those puppies and mom may be in some trouble as that is far too long and a c-section would be needed to get them out.

I know money is an issue, but there's really no way of knowing for sure without an x-ray or ultrasound. My guess is that it's a false pregnancy and the milk should stop leaking and the mammary glands dry up in a few days.