Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My dog is having a hard time urinating, his stream in less

My dog is having a hard time urinating, his stream in less and less as time goes on. He is not in pain, and money is tight. Is there something I can do without going to my Vet?

How old is he?

Is he neutered?

Is he urinating more often than normal?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is about 10 years old, and he is neutered. No he is not urinating more often.

Thank you.

I believe that you need to have him checked for a urinary tract infection and bladder stones. Start with just the urinalysis. Call around and ask how much an "exam fee and urinalysis" would cost. If he does have an infection, he will need a course of antibiotics. Try calling the local humane society and SPCA too.

If there is blood in the urine, before or after, the antibiotics the vet may recommend an x-ray of the bladder to check for bladder stones.

There is also a slight chance he has an enlarged prostate but that is not common in neutered males. It is very common in intect males.

There is also a chance he has a problem contracting his bladder muscles to empty his bladder but this is also very rare.

Unfortunately, there is not anything you can do at home except try putting a teaspoon of unsweetened cranberry juice in his mouth once a day. He really needs to go to the vet though. more on urinary tract infections