Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

dog hit by car, no apparent injury. urine yellow. gait steady.

Customer Question

dog hit by car, no apparent injury. urine yellow. gait steady. abdomen soft. playful as ever. what are s/s of head injury and what should I look for with internal injuries.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. When did this happen? Was he hit straight on by a car or just grazed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it happened about 5 hours ago, and I believe she was just grazed, it was wittnessed by two people but have recieved conflicting stories. i was also wondering if it is safe to feed her. and allow her to sleep straight thru the night
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the information. I will say that I always recommend taking a dog in to be seen by a vet as soon as you can after being hit by a car. If she was just grazed, with no apparent injuries or change in attitude, she will probably be fine. You always want to err on the side of caution, though. Even though some dogs seem fine on the outside, there could be more serious internal injuries. This could range from injuries to the liver or spleen (causing internal bleeding), bruised kidneys, a ruptured bladder (which it doesn't seem like she has due to the fact that she is urinating normally, herniated of abdominal contents into the chest cavity (often causing difficulty breathing but maybe not initially), bruising of the heart or head trauma. Signs of head trauma would include dilated pupils or difference in pupil size, blood in seen in the eye, bleeding from the ears, nose or mouth; staggering, head tilt, rigid or flaccid limbs, altered level of consciousness or seizures. I would check her gums and see if they are pale, blue or brick red. I would also squeeze on her abdomen, apply pressure to her chest, palpate all her limbs and move all her joints. Like I said, I always recommend getting them seen as soon as possible. If you want to watch her tonight and see how she does, watch her for any of the signs of head trauma. If you see any of these signs or see pale gums or pain anywhere, get her seen immediately by your nearest veterinary emergency clinic. It should be safe to feed her. If eating is difficult or she vomits the food back up, have her seen tonight as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.