Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior

My puppy is throwing up bright yellow liquid. What does this

My puppy is throwing up bright yellow liquid. What does this mean?

This is Dr.Christian. The yellow fluid you are seeing is called bile. It is produced by the liver and is then used in the small intestine to digest food. When a puppy is vomiting bile it means that the stomach is empty and the vomiting is now starting to empty the small intestine. In this case it would definitely be be best to have your puppy checked by a vet immediately if you have not already done so. If you have more questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. It happened for the first time a week ago. I don't remember that her stomach was empty, but I guess it must have been. I called the vet, and they told me to give her 1/4 of a Pepcid tablet and then feed her a small amount of her food a half hour later. I did so, and then she seemed fine until just now. I know her stomach is definitely empty now. Does this additional information help any?
It does make me feel better if she is not acting sick but only had one bout of vomiting. You can try the same therapy as previously but if the vomiting persists then I would have her checked.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I don't understand why she vomited bile a week ago, but now that I have read your explanation about her stomach being empty, I understand why she vomited bile again just now. Three days ago, a few days after the first bile-vomiting episode, I switched her to a new food, which she'd been eating very little of. As soon as I read your post, I gave her a bowl of her old food, and she is currently stuffing her face! I feel much better, and I'm sure she does, too. My goal had been to switch her from wet to dry food, since everyone tells me dry food is so much better for a dog. Would keeping her on wet food do her real harm in the long-run?
It's not great for the teeth so I definitely recommend dry food overall. Try a slow gradual switch over several weeks time and see if that helps. You could also try adding warm water to the dry food for a while.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so very much for your time and assistance. I really appreciate your availability, especially on a holiday when it would have been very hard if not impossible to reach my regular vet.
You are welcome. I'm glad I could be of help. Happy Memorial Day!