How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Loretta Your Own Question
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28082
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Loretta is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my dog just ate a stick of cocoa butter. what should I do.

This answer was rated:

my dog just ate a stick of cocoa butter. what should I do. 64 lb shepherd mix, the stick was about 3 - 4 inches long, maybe 3/4 inch across.
thank you.
Hi Karin! White chocolate and cocoa butter do not contain the dangerous toxins that are in the semi sweet or milk chocolates so you are safe. Cocoa butter is the fat that is removed from the chocolate liquor. The amount of theobromine, the toxic component of chocolate, in the cocoa butter is minute compared to the other chocolates so it will not show the toxic effects. It will, however, cause a small digestive disturbance such as vomitting and diarrhea which will subside in a day.

Just keep an eye on him during the day for digestive signs or signs of hyperactivity .

Dr. Loretta
I hope this helps!! Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Click REPLY if you need more info. Click ACCEPT if I have answered your question.

Thank you so much for your question! Remember, this cannot replace an exam by a veterinarian.

Dr. Loretta and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you