Dr. Diane
Dr. Diane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Regional. 20 years experience small animal practice and emergency medicine.
47858

Can dogs have paracetamol. This is an english drug and is 500mg

Can dogs have paracetamol. This is an english drug and is 500mg per pill. My dog sprained his leg we think he can bearly put weight on it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He weighs 112lbs. He has been having alot of joint issues lately. Especially after excersise. Yesterday he did actually injure his leg. Do you have any suggestions for hip & joint maintanance. He is only 2 and acts like he's 13.
Please help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry I did reply and I have waited over 8 hours for a response. Drew can you help me or do I opwn this up to someone else.
Expert:  Dr. Diane replied 7 years ago.

Hello, I'm avail. at the moment and can try to help you.

Paracetamol is acetaminophen. Dogs do not metabolize acetaminophen as well as humans so if used, it must be done carefully and at the correct dosage for the correct period of time. For this reason, many vets don't use. acetaminophen for dogs at all. There are so many much better and safer drugs available (mostly NSAIDS) that are approved for use in dogs.

For a large dog the size of yours, however, the toxic dose is way more than one 500 mg tablet. 1 kg = 2.2 #, so your dog weighs approx. 50 Kg. 100 mg/kg can cause liver issues, over 200 mg/kg can cause methemoglobinemia. However, there have been reported problems at lower doses too. Your dog should be okay at the dose he got, but to be safe, you may want to talk to your vet about using an dog-approved NSAID instead.

Also, there are a lot of joint nutraceuticals out there that are safe and may help your dog long-term, usually chondroitin and glucosamine combos:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=542

Best wishes for your pet!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello Diane thank you. After I did not hear from anyone last night I chose not to give him the paracetamol. If this happens again in the future what do you recommend I give him for pain?
Expert:  Dr. Diane replied 7 years ago.

In a pinch, you can use buffered aspirin safely for most dog (unless of course, he has a bleeding disorder, hemophilia, Von Willebrands, renal insufficiency, etc). Giving it with food is best so it doesn't upset his stomach. The dose I use is 10mg/kg. First I would just try 1 buffered aspirin with food every 12 hrs as needed, but if not effective, you can use two per dose. I wouldn't use it long-term either. Also, aspirin can interact with other drugs, and shouldn't be used together with other NSAIDS, steroids, etc.

Also, don't use ibuprofen or any other OTC NSAID. They can cause toxicity in dogs.

Good luck!

Dr. Diane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Regional. 20 years experience small animal practice and emergency medicine.