Dr. Diane
Dr. Diane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Regional. 20 years experience small animal practice and emergency medicine.

My dog is coughing and is taking Lasix (50mg) but will not

My dog is coughing and is taking Lasix (50mg) but will not go outside to urinate. I've encouraged her to go out and she gets up like she is going to go but then goes to lay down, with her head down like she thinks I'm upset. Should I continue to give her the Lasix? Seeing her like this is breaking my heart, please help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Diane replied 7 years ago.

I'll try to help. How long has she been on Lasix? Is she on any other drugs? Has she had a cardiac work-up? How old is she? Is she urinating in the house?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has only been on it for a full day. I was supposed to give it to her at 10:30 but I was afraid b/c she has not been using the bathroom. She is not taking any other medication. She is 5 yrs. old. She is not using the bathroom in the home but she is throwing up everything that she eats.
Expert:  Dr. Diane replied 7 years ago.
Has she had a work-up and diagnosis? When was she last seen? How long has she been vomiting?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has not had any cardio workup b/c the vet wanted to see if the meds would work first. She was seen yesterday. She has been vomiting for a week or more now. At first it was white foaming then after she'd eat about 40 minutes or so, she would throw the food she ate up. Just recently, when she throws up, it smells like feces.
Expert:  Dr. Diane replied 7 years ago.

To be honest, in my opinion, your dog really needs a further work-up. Did they do bloodwork at all? Chest xrays?

If her coughing is improving with Lasix, then you can let your vet know that. However, if she isn't taking it at all, then you won't know that. However, I wouldn't personally start a dog on Lasix without doing more of a work-up first, because we don't know what else may be going on with her. Also, I like to know whether kidney function is normal first and whether the pet is dehydrated, etc, before Lasix. And whether or not the vomiting of phlegm is related to the coughing or another problem, I don't know.

Also, Lasix is a diuretic, so if anything, it'll make her urinate more. Make sure she is drinking plenty of water. If she is holding her urine, try carrying her outside to her usual spot and see if she'll go there.

As far as throwing up her food, try feeding her very small amounts at a time more frequently than usual. Try a bland (1/3 chicken boiled 2/3 boiled white rice) diet for a couple of days. Also, don't let her guzzle a ton of water at one time. Small frequent amounts will stay down better.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What do I do if she is not drinking water? She won't do anything.
Expert:  Dr. Diane replied 7 years ago.

Hello again,

If she isn't drinking anything by tomorrow, I would seriously consider having her seen at the Vet ER. Especially on Lasix, she needs water. Try giving her some ice cubes, some dogs will lick those. Also, measure the amount of water you put in her bowl and then measure what is left in 12 and 24 hrs. That way, you'll know exactly how much she is drinking or not.

Keep us posted!