Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

dog ate rimadyl I dont think there were more than 6 pills

dog ate rimadyl? I don't think there were more than 6 pills in bottle, he is 40-50 lbs
What size tablets were they and how long ago did this occur?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I don't know the mgs, I got them at the vet yesterday when he was neutered, I don't think it said on the bottle, but he ate the label anyway. It was in the last 1 1/2 - 2 hours

Ok,

What I would do is make him vomit and then call up your local ER vet to get him a dose of activated charcoal and then place him on IV fluids for 12-24 hours and monitor kidney enzymes. Rimadyl overdoses can cause GI upset/ ulceration and acute renal (kidney) failure. The best treatment is to decontaminate the GI tract and push IV fluids to prevent kidney failure rather than wait for it and try to treat it. Your dog may do fine without any treatment, but I'd rather error on the safe side.

To make him vomit, you can give him 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide. If no vomiting in 10-15 minutes then re-dose. You can then give charcoal to bind whatever is left in the GI tract and the IV fluids and kidney value checks will help prevent kidney damage.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
right before I messaged you I gave him 3 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide in water ( I didn't know if it was supposed to be diluted). He just vomited a huge amount, I had fed him after this had happened, before I knew about it. I have been sifting through it to see if I could find the pills, no luck yet. Is there an activated charcoal product I can get at the drugstore?
I wouldn't expect you to find any of the pills- NSAIDS like Rimadyl will dissolve and be absorbed very rapidly (~ 30 minutes) after ingesting.

I believe there is a charcoal product that is available over the counter in a pill form that you can give. It should have a dosage on the label as far as mg/lb or mg/kg.

I would still recommend IV fluids be given and kidney enzymes checked as renal failure is the more important toxic effect of Rimadyl overdose. If money is an issue and you cannot do this, then just keep a very close eye on the drinking/ urination. Kidney failure results in either lack or urination or excessive urination depending on how an individual is affected. Vomiting and anorexia are also big signs to look for.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
would it make a difference if I waited till morning when the vet is open, or should I take him immediately?
I would go in tonight. This way you can get baseline kidney enzymes then started on fluids- hopefully 12-24 hours later you can recheck the kidney enzymes and if normal he can go home.