Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years in veterinary practice for dogs, cats and pocket pets.
6877700

Stomach gurgling, eating grass, refusing to eat, panting,

Stomach gurgling, eating grass, refusing to eat, panting, 15 year old Australian Cattle Dog,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.
Hi there and thanks for your question. I just have a few questions for you before I post an answer:

How long has your dog been feeling unwell?
Any vomiting?
Can you check your dog's gum color? Are they pink, pale pink or white?
Does the dog seem bright or lethargic?
Does your dog have any health issues that you know of?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He has been doing this off and on for about two months. He will have a few good days and then a bad day. His stomach will start making noises, he refuses any food for 24 to 36 hours. He gets up and moves around then lays back down, his noise gets dry and he pants. Wants to eat grass or lick the rug.
Any vomiting?
After he goes outside and eats grass he will retch.
Pink with maybe a darker pink at the top of both center molars. He has no
lower front teeth from age and playing disc games.
Does the dog seem bright or lethargic?
Bright, wants to go outside for walk or to play. Comes back inside and is obviously
having tummy trouble.
What can I give him to settle his stomach? Can you give a dog bicarb soda? I have tried Pepto but he hates it. Would a 1/4 to 1/6 a tablet of Imodium Multi Symptom work?
I don't have a car to take him to vet or to go to store. I'm recovering from cancer surgery and live alone.
He is 15 years old. My last ACD living. He has an mole on his side that is larger now and darker. Might be cancer. He also has large fattey growths under his chest and arms that were removed once but have come back but smaller. They were tested benigh before.
I tried to change his eating habits and fed him twice a day in smaller portions and add fiber to it food. That worked for about two weeks. Now he won't eat the meal in the morning at all.
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.
OK, thanks for the detailed information!

This will be a tough one to answer but I can give you a few ideas.

It certainly does sound like he has some stomach upset, but the fact that he is generally bright and has a good appetite makes me think it is not anything too serious.

When he has these episodes you may want to feed him chicken and rice for a few days to help with any inflammation or irritation in the stomach.

Another thing that will help him is Pepcid which you can buy at the pharmacy. You can read about how much to give, here:

Pepcid

It may be that his system is getting more sensitive as he gets older. Plus, if you have been feeling unwell many dogs can pick up on that and can have stomach upset due to stress.

If the problem persists then you may need to consider having some bloodwork done to rule out a liver or a pancreas problem.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pepcid Link for how much to give dog will not work.
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.
Oh...sorry about that...here is another link:

Pepcid
Dr. Marie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years in veterinary practice for dogs, cats and pocket pets.