Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine with 10 years experience.

My dog ate 6 chicken wing bones. What should I do

My dog ate 6 chicken wing bones. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Angela replied 7 years ago.
I have seen some dogs ingest poultry bones and go on to digest and pass them without any difficulty. I have seen other times when these bones have caused an obstruction and the dog has needed surgery. It's hard to say which category your dog will be in. If you want to be aggressive, take your dog directly to your vet (call first) and get x-rays to see where the bones are now in your dog's digestive system. This way, you will have a baseline x-ray in case the dog starts vomiting or stops eating later. If you are looking to avoid a trip to the vet, I would simply monitor your dog for decreased appetite, vomiting, pain (not moving, crying, etc.). If your dog is eating normally, not vomiting, defecating normally over the next few days, then the bones are probably passing normally without problem. If your dog starts showing any of the problems I listed, get in to see your vet immediately. I hope this is helpful information. Please let me know if you have more questions about this. Best wishes.