Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

my dog has mucus coming out of her ear (green). She is also

Customer Question

my dog has mucus coming out of her ear (green). She is also shaking her head. My husband recently got laid off so I'm trying to avoid a vet bill if possible. What can I give her for the infection?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
That type of discharge is not the time to avoid the vet. Unfortunately, this strongly suggests otitis externa (an ear infection likely due to bacteria and/or yeast). The head shaking is also no surprise due to the discomfort from the inflammation inside the ear canal.
You can discuss with your vet about deferred payments, etc.. but you really need to get your pet in.
They can do a deep ear cleaning, and get your pet on the necessary topical and/or oral medications to tend to the infection and inflammation.
Green. This is not the type of ear issue I can recommend safely or effectively over-the-counter products.
Hope that helps.