Dr. K
Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

what does high protein levels in blood indicate

what does high protein levels in blood indicate?

High protein level in the blood can indicate many different things. There are usually three different types of protein reported on a blood panel..... Albumin, Globulin, and Total Protein.

Do you know which one of these (or if multiple) were high in your dog?
Would you happen to have the results of the bloodwork at home so that I could see them?
Did your dog have a urinalysis done as well?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, we had an urinary analysis done. Protein levels were high. Tomorrow we will have additional blood work. I do not have the results from the initial testing. I can get a copy tomorrow. They did test the urine again and told me there are no bacteria noted in the urine.
So protein levels were high in the blood, or high in the urine, or both?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
high in the urine sample
So..only high in the urine sample and not in the blood. I just want to make sure that I have this straight since your initial question stated that you wanted to know what high blood protein levels were.

Usually, when there are high levels of protein in the urine...there are low levels of protein in the blood. Do you know if your dog's blood protein levels were normal?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry to have confused this. Our dog has only had a urine sample taken. Tomorrow they are taking a blood sample. The Dr said they found that our dog is losing a lot of protein in her urine. Does that make sense?
Yes...this makes more sense.

There are many things that can result in an increase in protein levels in the urine (proteinuria). Sometimes protein is increased in the urine for simple reasons like an inflammation of the bladder from cystitis, or sometimes it is due to something more serious going on with the kidneys. I am attaching a client information handout that I use in my practice that discusses the many different causes of protienuria in more detail. I hope that you find it useful.

Click Here

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. I would be happy to look at any lab results that you have in the next few days if you would like me to. You can still contact me by posting to this thread, even after you have clicked on the "accept" button.

Dr. K

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much for your assistance. As I understand you, I can contact you with the results by going to this link. Again I do appreciate your information.
Dana,[email protected]
Yes Dana, that is correct. Even after you click on "accept", you will be able to contact me as much as you would like through this same link.

Dr. K