Dr. Welton
Dr. Welton, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed small animal veterinarian since 2002, practice owner since 2004.

My dog just ate a red centipede should I be concerned about

Customer Question

My dog just ate a red centipede should I be concerned about it being poisonious? We are in Reno, Nevada
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Welton replied 7 years ago.
Red centipedes are somewhat venomous to both dogs and people alike. They are known bite frequently upon contact and the bite is specifically known to cause pain and swelling at the bite site. They are rarely impicated in serious reactions or death associated with their bites.

That said, however, if your dog truly ingested the centipede, it is quite possible that a bite may have been sustained in the mouth. If a bite were sustained in the back of the mouth near the throat, my chief concern that subsequent pain an swelling may interfere with the ability to swallow and/or breath properly.

Therefore, while there is no cause for imediate alarm, there is cause for concern. As such, watch your dog carefully over the next 24 hours ans find huim immediate veterinary care if you witness any trouble breathing or swallowing.       
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for the information he seems fine right now, but I will definately keep my eye on him. Thanks again.
No problem. Good luck!