CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

our dog has red blood on his rectum after a bowel movement.

Customer Question

our dog has red blood on his rectum after a bowel movement. a red rasberrylike tissue sticks out in the center of his anus afterward,What could this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

I have a few questions that will help me better answer your question

1) Age

2) Breed

3) Does the "red rasberry like tissue) remain out, or does it go back in on its own?

4) Is the stool normal with blood on it? or is there diarrhea?

5) vomiting?

6) Change in appetite?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is a rednose pitbull/american bull dog mix. He is approx. 3 years old. He has had parvo when he was about 2 years old but was obviously cured. I have noticed since then he has had terrible breath and sometimes throws up for no reason. This sounds unhealthy, but he is very active, happy and well kept. The raspberry like tissue remains out for a while after he has a BM, but eventually disappears. His stool doesn't appear to have blood in it, but it is bright red when he is done. There is no vomiting or change in appetite, we took him to the vet but he said that it was just being "irritated". i do not think that is the case. We had his anal glands emptied. He has been like this for 2 months now and even though the vet says there's nothing wrong, I beg to differ. He doesn't APPEAR to be in pain.
Hi there,

Just to clarify,

The consistency of the feces is a normal, formed stool?

The beginning of the bowel movement is a normal brown color and the end of the feces is a red color?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
His bowel movements are inconsistent..sometimes they are normal and formed, other times they are not. From what I can tell, there is no blood in his stool whatsoever. But AFTER he goes, there is bright red blood on his anus and that red tissue poking out. Obviously, after he goes, I have to wipe him to clean it up, and sometimes, that tissue sticking out crumbles off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

From your history, I understand that the stool can be variable in nature (soft to formed), but the stool itself does not have blood on it. The blood is coming from that tissue you describe, which sometimes crumbles off.

Based on that description I am less likely to think about reasons for diarrhea or blood in the stool such as parasites, infections, inability to digest the food, etc.

This seems to be a lower intestinal (colon) type of issue.

The anal glands would have been a consideration, (infection or inflammation), but above you reported they were normal

With that said, I would be interested to know if a rectal examination has been performed? A rectal examination would allow palpation (feeling) of this tissue. Another consideration would be to have a lower GI endoscopy. Under anesthesia they would place an endoscope in the rectum. The endoscope (tube with a camera) would allow visualization of the colon with the option to take biopsies of the area to see if there is infection, inflammation, or even a tumor causing these signs.

Please let me know if this helps or if you have additional questions!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He's only had his anal glands emptied, I'm not sure if that entails an examination. Obviously I have spent thousands on this dog since he has had Parvo. He's happy and active, but I will take him back to the vet and ask to have an examination done. Thank you for your time!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

I am glad to have helped. I do think the first step is a rectal examination. Following that, endoscopy or other tests (as indicated) can be discussed.