Dr. B
Dr. B, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Diplomate ACVIM (SAIM) - Internal Medicine Specialist

my dog got poked in the eye with a stick; now her eye wont

Customer Question

my dog got poked in the eye with a stick; now her eye won't hardly open and there's a mucousy film around the edges of her eye. what should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B replied 7 years ago.
Hi MwPreston,

Thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear that your dog is having problems.

I must urge you to take him into your local ER clinic. The best case scenario is that he has an abrision on his eye that will heal with antibiotics. The worst case is that the eye has ruptured from being punctured by the stick.

It is very important to have eye problems like this taken care of right away, as they can sometimes progress, resulting in loss of vision.

I don't mean to scare you, but I would prefer that you were safe vs sorry when it comes to the eyes. It is possible if there is a piece of stick in there it can be removed with sedation and she will do fine.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance and I will be sending positve thoughts your way.