Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dogs toenail broke in half front to back and raw flesh

My dogs toenail broke in half front to back and raw flesh is exposed ,it looks like someone trimmed his nail to far.Its not bleeding but looks really tender.
He's licking it constantly of coarse but looks to be very uncomfortable. He is 7 years old and has a
very sensitive stomach    what to do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 years ago.
<p>HI there! I am so sorry to hear about your guy! that really hurts. the problem with the exposed flesh is that is where the nerve is and it will continue to be painful until it is remoovd. Also, with the nerve and flesh exposed, he will bump it on things and reinjure it. You should have your vet look at it tomorrow. They will most likely cut it off to the nail. It will hurt for a second but then it will not hurt anymore and it will be allowed to heal from the nail forward. You could also put a wrap on it to keep your guy from a;ways licking it and to keep him from bumping it on things to continue the pain. Put neosporin on the toe and then wrap it loosely enough so it doesn't cut off circulation but tight enough so it doesn't come off. In any case, it will heal fine.</p><p> </p><p>I hope this helps! let me know if I can be of further assistance!</p><p>Dr. Loretta<br />Click REPLY if you need more info. Click ACCEPT if I have answered your question. Thank you so much for your concern and your question!</p><p>Feedback and Bonuses are encouraged.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.