CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

A large lump suddenly appeared on the back of the neck near

Customer Question

A large lump suddenly appeared on the back of the neck near the shoulder blades, so to speak, of my dog. It doesn't seem to bother her much, & I can't see that it looks red or punctured like a bite. It's been 48 hours with no change & I gave her benadryl immediately after finding it. I can't afford to take her to the doctor, please help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Hi Daffy,

How old is your dog?

Breed?

Is the lump hard or soft?

Can you move it around a little or is it firmly adhered to something?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is 7, a rat terrior, it is fairly hard, and doesn't move. It is more or less right above her left shoulder blade.
Hi there,

In general I would say there are several main categories for this appearance and description

- Abscess (infection)
- Benign Mass / Tumor
- Malignant Mass / Tumor
- Reaction to a sting, etc.

The only definitive way to know and differentiate one versus the other is for a veterinarian to get a sample of it. It is a little concerning that you describe it as a hard mass, as benign fatty tumors are more likely to be soft, and they are also very likely to be slow growing.

As long as your dog is eating, drinking, acting normal - it does not seem like an emergency. If possible a veterinary visit would be recommended to better characterize the mass, and based on that, make a plan of action.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's not like it is that hard, it's just not extremly squishy, and for it to have come up so suddenly, I mean like within an hour, it couldn't be a tumor could it? Should I try shaving it & applying hot compresses to see if it is an abcess of sorts?
You can warm compress the area - 10-15 minutes, 3-4 times per day.

If you elect to shave it, please be careful as to not cut the skin.

You can also take your dogs temperature. A high temperature may indicate an infection (althought at times, due to inflammation, cancer can also cause a fever)

CLICK HERE:

Hi there,

Please let me know if that helps, or if you have additional questions!