Dr. Jan
Dr. Jan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of veterinary experience. Graduate of UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.
15467467

My dog is pregnant has has about 2 weeks to go, her teats are

My dog is pregnant has has about 2 weeks to go, her teats are swollen and she's starting to get milk. She's compleatly healthy and 2 weeks ago was given a clean bill of health from her vet. I'm wondering though, is it possible for her to develop mastitis before she has the puppies? I have played with her teats (with out squeezing them) and she's not in pain, she's not running a temp, she's eating normally and her stools are normal, she's still active, but in getting closer to the end she does seem to sleep more. If it is possible that she has mastitis, should she be on antibiotics while she's still pregnant? This was a planned breeding, but our first, and I would like to make sure noting goes wrong and that my girl is safe and healthy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jan replied 7 years ago.

It is unlikely that your dog has mastitis based on the symptoms that you are describing. Mastitis causes pain in the glands, redness and often pus instead of a watery milky discharge. It also causes the bitch to become sick, go off her food and often run a fever. Mastitis more likely occurs AFTER the puppies are nursing and are starting to wean. The hormonal effect of nursing as well as the stimulation of the puppies nursing often causes more milk to accuminilate in the glands; since milk is a great media for bacteria, the infection often starts as the puppies wean off the mother.

Here's further specific info on mastitis (3 pages):

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/mastitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

In the event that your dog does develop mastitis, antibiotics are helpful and some are safer than others to use in a pregnant or lactating bitch.

Since you are new to birthing puppies, here's further information:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

Let me know if you have further questions.