Dr. B
Dr. B, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Diplomate ACVIM (SAIM) - Internal Medicine Specialist
12484134

My diabetic dog has increased urinating and drinking more water

My diabetic dog has increased urinating and drinking more water in the last 24 hours. He has had in the past a urine infection. Have all types of rx's for him but don't know which one, if any of them r for his infection. Methlprednisolone 4mg, sucralfate 1gr, metronidazole 250 mg, cefpodoxime 100mg, carprofen 25 mg, dexamethasone .75 mg CAN you help me tonight and I can get with my vet tomorrow.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B replied 7 years ago.
Dear Weiner Momma,

Thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear that your little guy is having problems.

Unfortunately, I can not advise you as to which medication to give for several reasons:
- I haven't examined your dog
- it would equate to practicing veterinary medicine without a license, since it is not likely that I am licensed in your state
- I don't know that your dog has a urinary tract infection. Increased thirst and urination can be consistent with needing more insulin

What I can tell you is that many of the medications you listed will not be helpful, so please do not give any of them without seeing your veterinarian and having them obtaining a urine culture. Especially do not give the dexamethasone or methylprednioslone, as those are steroids and could make the condition worse.

If you feel that he is so uncomfortable and can't wait until tomorrow, then I would recommend that you take him to your local ER clinic.

Sorry I can't help you further, but I will be sending positive thoughts your way. Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for being honest with me.

I wasn't sure I had any medicine for him. His blood sugar last week was 230 I believe and has been stable however he is borderline with cushings disease. He had back surgery last Halloween, two eye ulcers and some intestine problems. Thank youSmile

Expert:  Dr. B replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I wasn't able to give you a more definitive answer.

If your dog's blood sugar was 230 last week and he is not on super high doses of insulin, I don't think he has Cushing's disease. If he had concurrent Cushing's Disease, it would be almost inpossible to control his blood sugar.

Good luck with him and please let me know how I can help.